Friday, November 16, 2012

Home


There are moments of my life where it is so easy to remember how Kenya is as much of a home to me as Georgia. Times when my heart is so happy and content here where I remember why I fell in love with this place five years ago and why I will always want to come back to it. I want to share some of these moments with you.
Kenya is home:
  •      When I am curled up on the couch reading a book and drinking tea and enjoying the constant soundtrack of animals and kids
  •      When I run to the supermarket and the kids on my road only wave to me in recognition instead of screaming at me in fascination
  •       When I have a day that I plan all my own, where I make the arrangements and decisions and have all the freedom in the world to do what I want
  •      When I go to a restaurant to pick up lunch and already know how much it will cost me because I’ve been there enough times to have the menu memorized
  •      When I go to the bank and the security guard always insists on putting his card in the ATM before me just to make sure it isn’t in a mood to eat cards
  •       When I am on the way somewhere and pass by friends on the street who know my name
  •       When I can turn my music up and sing along to American songs while I make dinner (even if it means strange looks from my Kenyan family) 

So many pieces of my heart are here- in the people, in the culture, even in the language. And I love the times when I am perfectly comfortable being at home here. I love when I can be still and rest and not feel like just because I am in Kenya I have to be doing something productive every second of every day. (Even though I also love times when I am busy busy and full of places to go and people to see)

I don’t know that I will ever get tired of having more than one home.

No comments:

Post a Comment